Friday, July 7, 2017

My Top Ten Favorite Books

     Hello my freaks and geeks, my name is Ella, and today I'm going to be telling you my top ten book recommendations that my friends have grown tired of hearing me constantly praise. It was so hard to choose the books that made the list. Don't even get me started on the order! But in the end, these are the first books I would save in a fire. This list does not contain Harry Potter, because it's Harry Potter. Obviously I love it, it's universal. So here it is: my top ten favorite books.

1o. Coraline, Neil Gaiman

Ah, Coraline, giving children nightmare's for years. Coraline was one of my favorite books during 6-7th grade, and I think it's twisted little world deserved a place on this list.

9. It Ain't so Awful Falafel, Firoozeh Dumas

This is an incredibly cute, heart-wrenching book about the Iranian Hostage Crisis from the perspective of an Iranian American girl living in America. This book was adorable and I screamed at lot at some of the characters in this book because of reasons

8. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Alan Bradley

Are you the kind of person that enjoys poisons, chemistry, and fantasizing about their own funeral? Then you might relate to the main character of this book. 11 year old Flavia De Luce is like the kick arse, scientific, crime fighting, Wednesday Addams of the literary world, and if that doesn't interest you- well, why are you even here? Join Flavia as she solves murders and wins my heart by being depressingly hysterical.

7. Icefall, Matthew J. Kirby

Icefall is the one book that I could reread forever. This book is so important to me. Even though it's a middle grade novel, I still read it today, and it's still one of the best books that I've ever read. I had such a hard time not putting this book higher on the list. Solveig is the best main character I've ever watched develop, honest to God. I reread this book like, every other week. It has goats, betrayal, bards, stories, berserkers, ravens, and wolves. So basically everything anyone could need!

6. The Screaming Staircase, Jonathan Stroud

The Screaming Staircase was originally going to be my fifth favorite book, but it was bumped out last second. This book is incredibly thrilling, the premise is fantastic, the characters are lovely, and it had me hanging on to every word. The Lockwood & Co series still stands to be one of my top favorite series I've ever read. 

5. The Demon King, Cinda Williams Chima

This book series has been my life for the past year. The plot and the characters are amazing, and the action and romance are to die for. The world Chima builds is fantastic, and the slow burning romances are even better! Raisa and Han are intriguing and well thought out protagonists and two of my favorite characters. I aspire to write a fantasy novel as well as Mrs.Chima. 

4. And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie

If you've searched your whole life for a dark, murderous, and truly baffling murder mystery, look no further than the queen of the genre. This book is dark, gritty, and people drop like bees, err, I mean flies. You will have no idea what the hell is going on the entire time, and honestly, all the murder is pretty refreshing. 

3. Popular, Maya VanWagenen

If you're a socially awkward weirdo like me, then you will definitely enjoy Maya's witty, clever memoir about her experiment in Eighth grade. Maya is a young author, too, so support her! Honestly, this book has gotten me through confidence issues, and has made me realize a whole lot of stuff about myself I didn't even know. I reread this book all the time. Popular is about Maya's decision to follow a book written about popularity from the 50's-clothes, makeup, and all. Her voice is hilarious, honest, and so beautiful. If you've ever felt like an outcast, a nerd, or a freak, you should read Popular.

2. The Memory of Light, Francisco X. Stork

This is my favorite book that was written about mental illness. It's my number one recommendation to anyone struggling with depression or anyone who's been going through rough times. I feel like this book is life changing. The story is about a girl who wakes up in a mental hospital after attempting suicide. This book has a diverse and intriguing cast of characters, and I recommend this book to everyone I meet.

1. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

And coming in at number one, the only book that has ever managed to make me cry. Told from the perspective of death during World War II, this book is about a girl named Leisel and her friends and family in a Heaven that's not quite Heaven. This book is beautiful, heart wrenching, and yes, I did sob like a baby. I can't describe how beautifully written or fantastic this book is. You just have to read it to understand.

And that's my list of my top ten favorite books at the moment. You should read all of them, they're fantastic. Just read it.

-Ella


All images are from Goodreads or were free for use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Best Poems

     Hello my freaks and geeks, my name is Ella and I'm secretly a romanic sap who cried when I watched Inside Out. There, now you know....